[Python-Dev] Tru64 support

martin at v.loewis.de martin at v.loewis.de
Wed Sep 5 00:11:14 CEST 2012

Zitat von Andrew Svetlov <andrew.svetlov at gmail.com>:

> http://hg.python.org/cpython/file/82ae284cd5f1/Lib/test/test_subprocess.py#l374
> is link to comment,
> http://bugs.python.org/issue1063571 — issue in bugtracker.
>
> Is it still up to date? Bug has been created in 2004.
> I don't see Tru64 in list of available buildbots.
>
> Do we need to care about this platform?

That there is no buildbot is no indication. Instead, PEP 11 keeps
track of platforms we don't want to support anymore; Tru64 isn't listed.
For a long time, there had been proponents of Tru64 on this list which
would object to removing support.

> And how to make sure what existing code works fine for that?

We don't need to. It's perfectly fine if it breaks - we just can't
actively remove code to support the platform.

OTOH, if Tru64 was proposed for "unsupport", we could disable support
in 3.4, and remove support in 3.5. Perhaps that would be a good thing
to do.

> Or maybe we can drop support for Tru64 as well as we already does it
> for, say, VMS?

No, see PEP 11.

Regards,
Martin