[Python-Dev] packaging location ?

Donald Stufft donald.stufft at gmail.com
Thu Sep 13 13:27:12 CEST 2012

On Thursday, September 13, 2012 at 5:38 AM, Antoine Pitrou wrote:
> Most people use distutils / packaging as
> an application, not a library. If you provide only a subset of
> the necessary features, people won't use packaging.

Not that I think current usage patterns matter since moving from setup.py
to a static file, but that's not really true. The wide proliferation of setuptools
shows pretty clearly that people are fine using distutils as a library. Even
beyond that the popularity of pip shows that as well since very few people
even directly interact with setup.py at all except to create the distributions.