[Python-Dev] packaging location ?

Tarek Ziadé tarek at ziade.org
Thu Sep 13 15:15:19 CEST 2012

On 9/13/12 2:45 PM, Paul Moore wrote:
>> 4. ask each project to pour in pkglib anything that can be reused by others
> +1, although again it'll be down to the projects whether they do
> actually contribute. Also this somewhat contradicts the "be strict"
> point above, which is why I'm lukewarm on "be strict". Practicality vs
> purity - getting contributors/users is more important than insisting
> that everything be standardised before it can be implemented.

Let me take back 'strict process' and replace it with:

Everything added in pkglib should be a basic feature/implementation that
does not force the tools to change the
way *they* see their build/release/UI processes.

The most sophisticated feature I am thinking about is the set of apis in
distutils2.pypi
They are APIs to browse and interact with PyPI, and they are useful to
many projects,  so I think it fits my definition.

otho, anything relating to compilation should not be added there, unless
it's APIs to get some aggregated info,
like on the top of platform/sys/etc

Cheers
Tarek