[Python-Dev] packaging location ?

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Thu Sep 13 16:34:29 CEST 2012

On Thu, Sep 13, 2012 at 9:47 PM, Chris Jerdonek
<chris.jerdonek at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 13, 2012 at 4:32 AM, Tarek Ziadé <tarek at ziade.org> wrote:
>> Here's my proposal - actually it's Nick's proposal but I want to make sure
>> we're on the same
>> page wrt steps, and I think that addresses Antoine concerns
>>
>> 1. create a new package, called pkglib (or whatever), located at hg
>> .python.org as a new project that just strictly contains :

>> That way, we won't have the usual controversy about distutils' command
>> machinery. People will use whatever tool
>> and hopefully this tool will be based on pkgutil
>
> Hopefully it will be based on pkglib (or whatever) rather than pkgutil. ;)

Actually, I'd be happy to do the rearrangement needed to turn pkgutil
into a package rather than the current single module. I think we'd
have people breaking out the torches and pitchforks if we ever ended
up with modules or packages called packaging, pkglib *and* pkgutil all
in the standard library. "distcore" might work, since they're core
functionality for distribution more so than they are for packages.

Anyway, the essential idea of getting those 4 modules (and support
libraries) that almost made it into 3.3 into sufficiently good shape
that they can be distributed independently of distutils2 and adopted
as a dependency by multiple projects is a good one.

Cheers,
Nick.