[Python-Dev] Edits to Metadata 1.2 to add extras (optional dependencies)

Daniel Holth dholth at gmail.com
Fri Sep 14 20:10:14 CEST 2012

On Fri, Sep 14, 2012 at 2:03 PM, Donald Stufft <donald.stufft at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Friday, September 14, 2012 at 12:30 PM, Daniel Holth wrote:

> almost never needed at runtime. It would be great for performance and
> simplify the parser to just put it in another file.
>
> License also can be multiline I believe,

OK. In practice, Description: is the only field that is likely to be
hundreds of lines long which seems wasteful. The parser complexity is
a non-issue. (I know the PEP says Description: should not be the
instruction manual, but it is wrong because that is the way to get
useful data up on a package's pypi page.)