[Python-Dev] PEP 4XX: pyzaa "Improving Python ZIP Application Support"

Glenn Linderman v+python at g.nevcal.com
Tue Apr 2 04:25:25 CEST 2013

On 4/1/2013 5:47 PM, Daniel Holth wrote:
> users expect .py to be opened with a text editor.

This user expects .py to be executed as an executable script, and thinks
that is the default after an installation of Python on Windows.  Windows
has a separate option, Edit, to use to edit things.

But, I'm glad to see you write the PEP. I have an even thinner method of
doing this, using .py extensions, that I've been using for several years
now with Python 3, and wondered why it wasn't more popular.

My equivalent of pyzaa, though, only performs the pack operation, and
requires a bit of cooperation from the application (as a convenient way
of storing the application-specific parameters, I build the invocation
of pyzaa-equivalent into the application itself using a non-documented
command-line option, and build to a different directory, to avoid
overwriting application.py).

Feel free to incorporate all or parts of that idea if it makes sense to
you and sounds convenient.