[Python-Dev] How to fix the incorrect shared library extension on linux for 3.2 and newer?

Ned Deily nad at acm.org
Thu Apr 4 17:48:02 CEST 2013

In article <515D760D.50608 at googlemail.com>,
 Julian Taylor <jtaylor.debian at googlemail.com> wrote:
> The values on macos for these variables still look wrong in 3.3.1rc1:
>
> ./configure --prefix=/Users/jtaylor/tmp/py3.3.1 --enable-shared
> on macosx-10.8-x86_64
>
> sys.version_info(major=3, minor=3, micro=1, releaselevel='candidate',
> serial=1)
> SO .so
> EXT_SUFFIX .so
> SHLIB_SUFFIX 0
>

> the only correct one here is EXT_SUFFIX, SHLIB_SUFFIX should be .dylib
> (libpython is a .dylib) and .SO possibly too given for what it was used
> in the past.
>
> 3.3.0 also returns wrong values
> SO .so
> EXT_SUFFIX None
> SHLIB_SUFFIX ""

I get a SHLIB_SUFFIX of '.so'.  --enable-shared configurations are
particularly error-prone; for instance, you either need to test using an
installed version or be very careful to override the dynamic loading
path.  Please see the discussion at http://bugs.python.org/issue16754
and either report your concerns there or open an new issue.

--
 Ned Deily,
 nad at acm.org