[Python-Dev] The end of 2.7

martin at v.loewis.de martin at v.loewis.de
Sun Apr 7 09:51:17 CEST 2013

Quoting Lennart Regebro <regebro at gmail.com>:

> On Sun, Apr 7, 2013 at 7:11 AM,  <martin at v.loewis.de> wrote:
>> Wrt. to the 3.x migration rate: I think this is a self-fulfilling
>> prophecy. Migration rate will certainly increase once we announce
>> an end of 2.7, and then again when the end is actually reached.
>
> Well... People are in general *stuck* on Python 2. They are not
> staying because they want to. So I'm not so sure migration rate will
> increase because an end is announced or reached.

I assume you say that because people rely on libraries that haven't
been ported (correct me if there are other reasons to be stuck).

With an announced end-of-life, I'm certain that migration rate will
increase, because people will now urge their suppliers, pointing
to the announcement. With Benjamin's proposed schedule, they would
still have two years for their suppliers to act. Even under my proposed
schedule, there would be plenty of time.

Also, this is all free software (at least most of it).
Nobody can *really* be stuck on a not-ported dependency, as they
could always port it themselves, and even fork if the developer
refuses to integrate the port (and you know that this actually
happens).

Regards,
Martin