[Python-Dev] Updates to PEP 1 (PEP process meta-PEP)

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Sun Apr 7 10:33:11 CEST 2013

I just pushed two modifications to PEP 1, both triggered by the
in-progress packaging PEP updates (see diff at
http://hg.python.org/peps/rev/0a8e456973ed).

The first change is the one I raised at the language summit, allowing
pronouncement on PEPs that don't immediately affect the language
definition or the standard library to occur on a list other than
python-dev. This is done by giving the "Discussions-To" header a bit
more force.

The other change is closely related, but wasn't specifically discussed
at the language summit (I only noticed the need for it when making the
edits for the change above). This second change was to adjust the
wording to make the "Python-Version" header optional for Standards
track PEPs that don't directly affect the language reference or
standard library.

In effect, the new rule is that a Standards track PEP with a specific
Python-Version set still has to be discussed and accepted or rejected
on python-dev. It's only non-version-specific interoperability
standards (like the packaging PEPs) that are fair game for another
list.

Cheers,
Nick.