[Python-Dev] The end of 2.7

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Sun Apr 7 14:10:45 CEST 2013

I started writing this last night before the flurry of messages which
arrived overnight.  I thought originally, "Oh, Skip, you're being too
harsh."  But now I'm not so sure.  I think you are approaching the
issue of 2.7's EOL incorrectly. Of those discussing the end of Python
2.7, how many of you still use it in your day-to-day work? Have any of
you yet to move to Python 3?  It sounds like many people at PyCon are
still 2.x users.

Where I work (a trading firm that uses Python as just one of many
different pieces of technology, not a company where Python is the core
technology upon which the firm is based) we are only just now
migrating from 2.4 to 2.7. I can't imagine we'll have migrated to
Python 3 in two years.  It's not like we haven't seen this coming, but
you can only justify moving so fast with technology that already
works, especially if, like Python, you use it with lots of other
packages (most/all of which themselves have to be ported to Python 3)
and in-house software.

I think the discussion should focus on who's left on 2.x and why, not,
"yeah, releases every six months for the next couple years ought to do
it."

Just my 2¢.

Skip