[Python-Dev] The end of 2.7

Benjamin Peterson benjamin at python.org
Sun Apr 7 15:44:27 CEST 2013

2013/4/7 Skip Montanaro <skip at pobox.com>:
> I started writing this last night before the flurry of messages which
> arrived overnight.  I thought originally, "Oh, Skip, you're being too
> harsh."  But now I'm not so sure.  I think you are approaching the
> issue of 2.7's EOL incorrectly. Of those discussing the end of Python
> 2.7, how many of you still use it in your day-to-day work? Have any of
> you yet to move to Python 3?  It sounds like many people at PyCon are
> still 2.x users.
>
> Where I work (a trading firm that uses Python as just one of many
> different pieces of technology, not a company where Python is the core
> technology upon which the firm is based) we are only just now
> migrating from 2.4 to 2.7. I can't imagine we'll have migrated to
> Python 3 in two years.  It's not like we haven't seen this coming, but
> you can only justify moving so fast with technology that already
> works, especially if, like Python, you use it with lots of other
> packages (most/all of which themselves have to be ported to Python 3)
> and in-house software.
>
> I think the discussion should focus on who's left on 2.x and why, not,
> "yeah, releases every six months for the next couple years ought to do
> it."

This thread is about setting CPython release schedules, so that the
discussion focuses on that is unavoidable. :)

I don't think the bug fix releases of CPython are critically important
to the life of a Python version. Every 2.x version has survived much
longer than Python-dev has done bugfixes on it. As has been noted on
this thread, there will be commercial and apparently PyPy support for
2.7 long after cpython stops bug fixing it.

--
Regards,
Benjamin