[Python-Dev] The end of 2.7

Christian Tismer tismer at stackless.com
Sun Apr 7 16:00:39 CEST 2013

On 07.04.13 03:54, Raymond Hettinger wrote:

> On Apr 6, 2013, at 2:02 PM, Benjamin Peterson <benjamin at python.org
> <mailto:benjamin at python.org>> wrote:
>
>> we need to talk about how many more 2.7 releases there are
>> going to be. At the release of 2.7.0, I thought we promised 5 years of
>> bugfix maintenance, but my memory may be fuddled.
>
> I don't we need to make any "promises" beyond 5 years,
> but I also think it is likely the 2.7 will end-up being a
> long-term maintenance version of Python.
>
> At this year's Pycon keynote, I surveyed the crowd (approx 2500 people)
> and all almost everyone indicated that they had tried out Python 3.x
> and almost no one was using it in production or writing code for it.
> That indicates that Python 2.7 will continue to be important for a good
> while.
>
> In addition,  the other implementations of Python (Jython, PyPy, GAE,
> and IronPython) are all at or nearly at Python 2.7.   So, continued
> support will be needed for their users as well.
>
> After 2.7.4, I expect that the pace of real bug fixes will slow down,
> but that we'll continue to improve docs, add docstrings, update IDLE, etc.
>
> IMO, it is premature to utter the phrase "the end of 2.7".
> Better to say, "2.7 is stable and is expected to only have minor updates".
>
> Future point releases probably ought to occur "on their own schedule"
> whenever there are a sufficient number of changes to warrant a release,
> or an important security fix, or whenever the release managers have time.

Raimond, although I think you are right, I don't think this statement helps
Python to move forward. Your vision is realistic, nevertheless I
think it is important to tell everybody that 2013 is the year to move
to Python 3.

If enough people like you, Alex, Dabeaz, etc are claiming that loudly
enough, it will
eventually happen!

cheers - chris

phone +49 173 24 18 776  fax +49 (30) 700143-0023