[Python-Dev] The end of 2.7

Christian Tismer tismer at stackless.com
Sun Apr 7 15:53:57 CEST 2013

Hi Skip,

On 07.04.13 14:10, Skip Montanaro wrote:
> I started writing this last night before the flurry of messages which
> arrived overnight.  I thought originally, "Oh, Skip, you're being too
> harsh."  But now I'm not so sure.  I think you are approaching the
> issue of 2.7's EOL incorrectly. Of those discussing the end of Python
> 2.7, how many of you still use it in your day-to-day work? Have any of
> you yet to move to Python 3?  It sounds like many people at PyCon are
> still 2.x users.
>
> Where I work (a trading firm that uses Python as just one of many
> different pieces of technology, not a company where Python is the core
> technology upon which the firm is based) we are only just now
> migrating from 2.4 to 2.7. I can't imagine we'll have migrated to
> Python 3 in two years.  It's not like we haven't seen this coming, but
> you can only justify moving so fast with technology that already
> works, especially if, like Python, you use it with lots of other
> packages (most/all of which themselves have to be ported to Python 3)
> and in-house software.
>
> I think the discussion should focus on who's left on 2.x and why, not,
> "yeah, releases every six months for the next couple years ought to do
> it."

when I read this, I was slightly shocked. You know what?
"""
We are pleased to announce the release of*Python 2.4, final*on November
30, 2004.
"""

I know that companies try to save (time? money?) something by not upgrading
software, and this is extremely annoying.

In my own project, which is for a customer, I just managed to do the
complete transition
from Python 2.7 to 3.3.
Well, this was relatively simple because there is just my boss to be
convinced,
and myself, because honestly the 3.3 support is still not as good as needed.
But I think every employee (including you) can quite easily put some
pressure
on his company by claiming that Python 2.x is a dead end, and everybody is
about to move on to 3.x.
This does not have to be true, I just recognize that by claiming it and
doing it
with your projects, the movement becomes a reality. Just say that we all
need to
move on and cannot care about companies that ignore this necessity.

I agree it is hard to push things forward, when certain tools are just
supporting
2.x. My way to get over this is ranting, and porting some things, and
claiming
it was a cake walk. A lie, but it helped.

my 2.01 cent -- chris

phone +49 173 24 18 776  fax +49 (30) 700143-0023