[Python-Dev] The end of 2.7

Terry Jan Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Sun Apr 7 22:23:37 CEST 2013

> There's not much of a point in fixing bugs that always existed in 2.7,

I has been suggested that backporting bugfix patches from current 3.x to
2.7 will make it easier to port from the atest 2.7.x to 3.x. I have no
idea how true that is.

> since must 2.7 users are by now used to working around these.

An exception is Idle, where the workaround is to grit one teeth and
perhaps yell 'Idle is broken' or to switch to something else. With
PEP343 accepted, this is rapidly being worked on. NEWS for 2.7.5 already
has 8 Idle items. Most of the credit goes to Roger Serwy.

tjr