[Python-Dev] The end of 2.7

Sturla Molden sturla at molden.no
Fri Apr 12 20:50:21 CEST 2013

On 07.04.2013 21:50, "Martin v. Löwis" wrote:

> So I believe that extension building is becoming more and more
> painful on Windows for Python 2.7 as time passes (and it is already
> way more painful than it is on Linux), and I see no way to do much
> about that. The "stable ABI" would have been a solution, but it's
> too late now for 2.7.

I think extension building for Python 2.7 on Windows for this reason is
moving from VS2008 to GCC 4.7 (MinGW). When using VS, we are stuck with
an old compiler (i.e. the .NET 3.5 SDK). With GCC, there is no such
issue - we just link with whatever CRT is appropriate. Thus, providing
link libraries for GCC/MinGW (both for the Python and the CRT DLL)
somewhat alleviates the problem, unless using VS is mandatory.

A long-term solution might be to expose the CRT used by the Python 2.7
DLL with DLL forwarding. That way, linking with the Python DLL's import
library would also link the correct CRT.

Sturla