[Python-Dev] PEP 435 -- Adding an Enum type to the Python standard library

Fábio Santos fabiosantosart at gmail.com
Fri Apr 12 21:37:32 CEST 2013

On Fri, Apr 12, 2013 at 7:21 PM, Russell E. Owen <rowen at uw.edu> wrote:
> Using intEnum is certainly doable, but that opens up the door to
> comparing values from different Enums, which is not something I'd want
> to allow.

I agree. Comparing values from different Enums could cause a lot of
hard to find bugs.

On the other hand, simply checking in `__cmp__` what Enum both values
belong to (since they do have a `enum` attribute) should allow us to
avoid cross-comparing instead of just raising a TypeError. It's not
very intuitive behavior IMHO.

Just my 2 cents.

--
Fábio Santos