[Python-Dev] Deciding against the CLA (was: Introducing Electronic Contributor Agreements)

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Sat Apr 13 18:26:40 CEST 2013

On Sat, Apr 13, 2013 at 6:30 AM, Ben Finney <ben+python at benfinney.id.au> wrote:
> "Stephen J. Turnbull" <stephen at xemacs.org> writes:
>
>> Mark Lawrence writes:
>>
>>  > People already use the bug tracker as an excuse not to contribute,
>>  > wouldn't this requirement make the situation worse?
>>
>> A failure to sign the CLA is already a decision not to contribute to
>> the distribution
>
> As someone who cannot in good faith sign the CLA, that characterisation
> is far from accurate: I would very much like to contribute to the Python
> distribution, and so have not decided as you describe.
>
> Rather, I leave the matter of contribution undecided, while advocating
> (when opportunity arises) against the CLA.
>
> The decision that the current terms are unacceptable does not entail a
> decision not to contribute.

Stephen said that it's a choice not to contribute and not that one
wouldn't _like_ to contribute if the CLA wasn't there. Those are both
distinctive choices to make. A desire to help is independent of
whether you are willing to take the necessary step of signing the CLA
in order to change that desire into an actual act of contributing
(which is obviously fine; if you have moral issues with the CLA no one
will hold it against you, we just can't legally risk accepting code
without it).

-Brett