[Python-Dev] Deciding against the CLA

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Mon Apr 15 06:08:56 CEST 2013

Ben Finney writes:
 > "Stephen J. Turnbull" <stephen at xemacs.org> writes:
 >
 > > Mark Lawrence writes:
 > >
 > >  > People already use the bug tracker as an excuse not to
 > >  > contribute, wouldn't this requirement make the situation
 > >  > worse?
 > >
 > > A failure to sign the CLA is already a decision not to contribute
 > > to the distribution
 >
 > As someone who cannot in good faith sign the CLA, that
 > characterisation is far from accurate: I would very much like to
 > contribute to the Python distribution, and so have not decided as
 > you describe.
 >
 > Rather, I leave the matter of contribution undecided,

Whatever.  In fact, the consequence of your failure to sign the CLA is
that your code doesn't get distributed with any of the current Python
releases, is that correct?

Back in context, I don't see how placing a reminder to sign the CLA on
the page makes your decision at that instant harder.  I suppose it
might deter you from submitting code that by policy shouldn't be
included in the distribution, but might be useful to third parties.
Whether such deterrence is a good thing or a bad thing would depend on
how likely it was to be independently invented by some who is willing
to contribute code, and whether you would try to enforce your
copyright in the event that it resembled your code (in which case
there would be an obvious case for infringement, with the burden of
proof on the individual who is willing to sign the CLA).

(By the way, what is your problem of conscience with the PSF CLA?  Are
you afraid that the PSF's obligation to use an "open source license"
is not enforceable?  You don't like the choice of Initial Licenses?
Something else?)