[Python-Dev] libffi inclusion in python

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Fri Apr 19 10:18:48 CEST 2013

On 19 Apr, 2013, at 10:13, Dirkjan Ochtman <dirkjan at ochtman.nl> wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 18, 2013 at 11:17 PM, Ronald Oussoren
> <ronaldoussoren at mac.com> wrote:
>> Stripping libffi from python's source tree would be fine by me, but would require testing with upstream libffi. AFAIK system libffi on osx wouldn't be goog enough, it doesn't work properly with clang.
>
> If you mean http://bugs.python.org/issue17136, I think that has been
> fixed in libffi upstream?

Appearently, but not in /usr/lib/libffi.dylib (at least nog when I checked it last time, which was at least one minor release of 10.8 ago). Which means that the binary installers will still have to use a bundled copy of libffi, but as Ned wrote that's not really a problem because the script that builds those installers already includes some other libraries that are not available on OSX or are too old.

That said, I haven't tested yet if upstream libffi actually works although others seem to have.

Ronald