[Python-Dev] Why can't I encode/decode base64 without importing a module?

Greg Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Tue Apr 23 01:16:20 CEST 2013

Victor Stinner wrote:
> The last proposition is to add transform() and untransform() methods
> to bytes and str types. ... If I remember
> correctly, the missing point is how to define which types are
> supported by a codec

Also, for any given codec, which direction is "transform"
and which is "untransform"?

Also also, what's so special about base64 et al that they
deserve an ultra-special way of invoking them, instead of
having to import a class or function like you do for
*every* *other* piece of library functionality?

--
Greg