[Python-Dev] PEP 435 -- Adding an Enum type to the Python standard library

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Tue Apr 23 15:44:58 CEST 2013

Hello,

(sorry for the previous message attempt - my mouse pointer hit the send
button before I was finished with it)

Le Fri, 12 Apr 2013 05:55:00 -0700,
Eli Bendersky <eliben at gmail.com> a écrit :

> We're happy to present the revised PEP 435, collecting valuable
> feedback from python-ideas discussions as well as in-person
> discussions and decisions made during the latest PyCon language
> summit. We believe the proposal is now better than the original one,
> providing both a wider set of features and more convenient ways to
> use those features.

I'm having a problem with the proposed implementation. I haven't found
any mention of it, so apologies if this has already been discussed:

>>> from flufl.enum import *
>>> class C(Enum):
...  a = 1
...  b = 2
>>> C.a.__class__
<class 'flufl.enum._enum.EnumValue'>
>>> isinstance(C.a, C)
False
>>> isinstance(C(1), C)
False

It would really be better if instances were actual instances of the
class, IMO.

Regards

Antoine.