[Python-Dev] distutils win32 multiple extensions

ebacry emmanuel.bacry at polytechnique.fr
Tue Apr 23 12:32:41 CEST 2013

Hello,I am writing some C extensions (using swig).A first extension (a python
module) which I'll call E1.I wrote a setup.py which works fine on all
platforms.On Windows 7 it creates a library which is a .pyd fileNow I want
to write a second C extension E2 that is calling some functions of E1.The
same kind of setup.py works fine on all platforms but Windows where it says
(during the link) that the function sof E1 that are called by E2 are
unreferenced.I am clearly not a Windows pro ... I am using mingw32 on
Windows.Surfing the web, I understood that shared libraries work differently
on windows than on other platforms. And that I should1- export the symbols
(i.e., the functions) of E1 when I build E1. In the distutils.Extension this
seems to be done using argument export_symbols=[list of symbols to
export]Now I have one problem : each time I specify in this list the name of
a function in E1 it says that it doesn't know this symbolWhat am I doing
wrong here, is there a special syntax ?2- Now in the setup.py of E2 how do I
declare that I want to use the E1 shared lib.? Is the information on the
exported symbol of E1 in the .pyd file or in the .def file ?I tried to
specify the .pyd library in the arguments of the distutils.Extension ....
but I have the feeling that's not the right thing to do (I have the feeling
the .pyd is not the right file to point to)Not mentioning the problem
specifying the path of the library with runtime_library_dirs ... which does
not seem to work at all.Is there a simple way to do what  I want to do ?I
did not find anything on the web explaining clearly what to do ...I am
really really stuckI would appreciate any kind of help Emmanuel