[Python-Dev] slow hg clone of python repo?

Eli Bendersky eliben at gmail.com
Thu Apr 25 03:14:18 CEST 2013

On Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 4:37 PM, Sean Felipe Wolfe <ether.joe at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 4:24 PM, Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org>
> wrote:
> > It's a big repo. Patience.
> >
> > On Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 4:17 PM, Sean Felipe Wolfe <ether.joe at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >> Hey everybody, I'm trying to download the python sources with hg and
> >> it's taking a while ... 7+ minutes so far and all I've got is
> >> .../cpython and .../cypython/.hg . Any ideas as to why there's a
> >> delay?
> >>
> >> I'm following the dev guide with this command:
> >> hg clone http://hg.python.org/cpython
> >>
> >> I'm on Linux Mint 14, using the supplied hg version 2.2.2 . My
> >> internet connection seems speedy enough.

Sean, 7 minutes doesn't sound bad. Keep in mind that with Hg, the whole
repository is being cloned to your computer - all active (and inactive)
branches, all history, etc. The up-side is that after this initial clone,
subsequent pulls are pretty quick and all other operations are local and
super fast (log, blame, etc.)

Eli