[Python-Dev] Why can't I encode/decode base64 without importing a module?

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Thu Apr 25 17:27:54 CEST 2013

Le Thu, 25 Apr 2013 15:34:45 +0200,
Lennart Regebro <regebro at gmail.com> a écrit :

> I don't agree that there is a significant difference between those
> wordings in this context. The end result is the same: Things intended
> to be handled/seen as textual should be unicode strings, things
> intended for data exchange should be byte strings.

I don't think this distinction is meaningful at all. In the end,
everything is a byte string on a classical computer (including unicode
strings displayed on your monitor, obviously).

If you think the technicalities of an operation should never be hidden
or abstracted away, then you're better off with C than Python ;-)

Regards

Antoine.