[Python-Dev] Questions about Codon Alignment Proposal

阮铮 rz1991 at foxmail.com
Sat Apr 27 19:23:38 CEST 2013

Hi Eric and Peter,

I'm preparing the proposal for the codon alignment project. Two things I may want to hear your advice.

1) In the biopython wiki page, you mentioned "model selection" in the Approach & Goals. I'm not sure if there are any advantages to use codon alignment for model selection. Could you give me some references? Another thing is that model selection involves estimation of tree topology as well as branch lengthes and parameters across many substitution models. Will it be too computationally intensive for a python implementation?

2) You also mentioned the "validation (testing for frame shift)". Is there a test for frame shift? Or I can simply detect it by comparing amino acid sequences and nucleotide sequences.

Best,
Zheng Ruan