[Python-Dev] enum discussion: can someone please summarize open issues?

PJ Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Mon Apr 29 02:05:59 CEST 2013

On Sun, Apr 28, 2013 at 7:37 PM, Steven D'Aprano <steve at pearwood.info> wrote:
> I have also suggested that that the enum package provide a decorator
> which can be used to explicitly flag values to *not* be turned into
> enum values. See here:
>
> http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2013-April/125641.html

In that example, 'food = property(lambda:"skip")' would work in a
pinch. (Granted, it wouldn't be a *class* attribute, but you can make
a class attribute by assiging it after class creation is completed.)

And if you want to make your enum instances callable, ISTM the right
(or at least the One Obvious) way to do it is to add a __call__ method
to the class.

> Even if the Enum class doesn't support this feature, I ask that it be
> written in such a way that a subclass could add it (i.e. please expose
> a public method for deciding what to exclude).

Since you can exclude anything by it having a __get__ method, or
include it by making it *not* have a __get__ method, I'm not sure what
use case you're actually looking for.