[Python-Dev] Getting a list of registered codecs

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Tue Apr 30 12:18:27 CEST 2013

On 30.04.2013 11:52, Paul Moore wrote:
> On 30 April 2013 10:42, M.-A. Lemburg <mal at egenix.com> wrote:
>
>> It would be possible to get a list of registered codec search functions,
>> but there's no API to ask the search functions for a list of supported
>> codecs.
>>

> OK, so there's no way to determine in advance what values of enc will work
> in bytestr.decode(enc) or str.encode(enc)?
>
> Is there a reason why not?

Nothing in particular, except maybe that it can be expensive to generate
such a list (e.g. you'd have to verify that the codec modules import
correctly and provide the needed getregentry() API).

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Apr 30 2013)
2013-04-30: Released eGenix PyRun 1.2.0 ...       http://egenix.com/go44
2013-04-17: Released eGenix mx Base 3.2.6 ...     http://egenix.com/go43

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/