[Python-Dev] PEP 8 modernisation

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Thu Aug 1 17:05:10 CEST 2013

> http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2013-July/653046.html

One correspondent objected that I was artificial biasing my histogram
because wrapped lines are, more-or-less by definition, going to be <
80 characters.  Off-list I responded with a modified version of my
graph where I eliminated all lines which ended in my preferred
continuation characters (open paren-like things and commas).  The
resulting histogram is attached (count as a function of line length).
This makes the "wasted space" argument even stronger. Generally, when
I wrap a line, I wrap it fairly near the limit, so by eliminating
them, the shorter lines stand out more clearly.

Skip