[Python-Dev] unittest.TestSuite holding references to unittest.TestCase instances too long

Michael Foord fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk
Tue Aug 6 23:08:19 CEST 2013

On 6 Aug 2013, at 21:05, Matt McClure <matthewlmcclure at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Michael,
>
> On Tue, Aug 6, 2013 at 4:25 AM, Michael Foord <fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk> wrote:
> unittest itself has changed so extensively since the last release of unittest2 that I'm not sure whether a completely fresh start for unittest2 might be needed. (Although I intend to do another bugfix release of this version as well.)
>
> Making unittest2 will involve:
>
>         * Taking the Python 3 unittest and porting code plus tests to run on python 2
> [ ... ]
>
> I took a different approach and simply applied the patch of diffs[1] from the Python 3 issue to the unittest2 tip.
>
> There was a small amount of renaming "unittest" to "unittest2" required, but other than that, the patch applied pretty cleanly, and seems to pass the unit tests and avoid the ever-increasing memory problem in my private test suite.
>
> Do you think it's sufficient to port just this feature? Or if not, what am I missing that requires resyncing more of unittest2 with the changes from Python 3?
>
> Is Google Code[2] still the right place for unittest2 issues? I found that via PyPI[3].
>
> It looks like there have been a lot of commits in the unittest2 repository since the last PyPI release (2010-07-12 -- 0.5.1). Would you plan to do another PyPI release of unittest2 with this feature? Or would you recommend using unittest2 from the repository to get it? Or am I missing a more recent packaged release somewhere else?

I plan to do a bugfix release which fixes bugs in unittest2 since the PyPI release. (Foolishly I don't think I tagged so I need to work out which revision corresponds to the released version.)

I will also do a new release with *all* new features. I won't do a release with just this new feature no.

For unittest2 specific issues, yes google code is still the correct issue tracker.

Michael

--
http://www.voidspace.org.uk/

May you do good and not evil