[Python-Dev] The Return Of Argument Clinic

Larry Hastings larry at hastings.org
Thu Aug 8 11:45:35 CEST 2013

On 08/05/2013 09:59 PM, Nick Coghlan wrote:
>> Question 2: Emit code for modules and classes?
>>
>> [...] Originally Clinic didn't ask for full class and module information, you just
>> specified the full dotted path and that was that.  But that's ambiguous;
>> Clinic wouldn't be able to infer what was a module vs what was a class.  And
>> in the future, if/when it generates module and class boilerplate, obviously
>> it'll need to know the distinction. [...]
> Note that setuptools entry point syntax solves the namespace ambiguity
> problem by using ":" to separate the module name from the object's
> name within the module (the nost test runner does the same thing). I'm
> adopting that convention for the PEP 426 metadata, and it's probably
> appropriate as a concise notation for clinic as well.

So you're proposing that xml.etree.ElementTree.dump() be written as
"xml.etree:ElementTree.dump", and datetime.datetime.now() be written as
"datetime:datetime.now"?  And presumably *not* specifying a colon as
part of the name would be an error.

>> Question 5: Keep too-magical class decorator Converter.wrap?
> You misunderstand me: I believe a class decorator is the *wrong
> solution*. I am saying Converter.wrap *shouldn't exist*, and that the
> logic for what it does should be directly in Converter.__init__.

Well, nobody liked it, everybody hated it, so I'll go with what you
proposed, though with the name converter_init() for the custom converter
init function.

//arry/