[Python-Dev] Deprecating the formatter module

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Wed Aug 14 17:47:15 CEST 2013

On 14 August 2013 11:08, Brett Cannon <brett at python.org> wrote:
> We take adding a module to the stdlib very seriously for all of these
> reasons and yet people seem to forget that the exact same reasons apply to
> modules already in the stdlib, whether they would be added today or not (and
> in this instance I would argue not). There is a balance to keeping the load
> of work for core devs at a level that is tenable to the level of quality we
> expect from ourselves which means making sure we don't let cruft build up in
> the stdlib and overwhelm us.

I've already suggested a solution to that at the language summit [1]:
we create a "Legacy Modules" section in the docs index and dump all
the modules that are in the "These are only in the standard library
because they were added before PyPI existed, aren't really actively
maintained, but we can't remove them due to backwards compatibility
concerns" category there.

Clear indication of their status for authors, educators, future users
and us, with no risk of breaking currently working code.

Cheers,
Nick.

[1] http://python-notes.curiousefficiency.org/en/latest/conferences/pyconus2013/20130313-language-summit.html#legacy-modules