[Python-Dev] Deprecating the formatter module

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Thu Aug 15 03:28:52 CEST 2013

On 15/08/13 01:08, Brett Cannon wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 13, 2013 at 10:22 PM, Steven D'Aprano <steve at pearwood.info>wrote:
>
>> On 13/08/13 23:36, Brett Cannon wrote:
>>
>>> On Tue, Aug 13, 2013 at 6:34 AM, Serhiy Storchaka <storchaka at gmail.com
>>>
>>>   12.08.13 22:22, Brett Cannon написав(ла):

[...]
> There is a balance to keeping the
> load of work for core devs at a level that is tenable to the level of
> quality we expect from ourselves which means making sure we don't let cruft
> build up in the stdlib and overwhelm us.

These are all very good arguments, for both sides, and it is a balance between code churn and bit rot, but on balance I'm going to come down firmly in favour of Nick's earlier recommendation: PendingDeprecation (and/or a move to a "Legacy" section in the docs). In a couple more releases there may be concrete plans for an eventual Python 4, at which time we can discuss whether to delay deprecation until Python 4 or drop it sooner.

And in the meantime, perhaps somebody will decide to give the module some love and attention. I'm not able to give a commitment to do so right now, but it is a module that interests me so maybe it will be me, he says optimistically.

--
Steven