[Python-Dev] Deprecating the formatter module

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Thu Aug 15 14:23:52 CEST 2013

On Thu, Aug 15, 2013 at 5:22 AM, Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net> wrote:

> On Thu, 15 Aug 2013 11:16:20 +0200
> Victor Stinner <victor.stinner at gmail.com> wrote:
> > 2013/8/15 Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net>:
> > > We don't have any substantial change in store for an eventual "Python
> > > 4", so it's quite a remote hypothesis right now.
> >
> > I prefered the transition between Linux 2 and Linux 3 (no major
> > change, just a "normal" release except the version), rather than the
> > transition between KDE 3 and KDE 4 (in short, everything was broken,
> > the desktop was not usable).
> >
> > I prefer to not start a list of things that we will make the
> > transition from Python 3 to Python 4 harder. Can't we do small changes
> > between each Python release, even between major versions?
>
> That's exactly what I'm saying.
> But some changes cannot be made without breakage, e.g. the unicode
> transition. Then it makes sense to bundle all breaking changes in a
> single version change.

Getting a little ahead of ourselves with defining what exactly Python 4
will be, but I have been thinking that if we take a "deprecated modules sit
in Python 3 bitrotting until Python 4 for backwards-compatibility reasons"
then I'm fine with that as that gives a long period of adjustment to the
module going away. I just don't want any deprecated module to sit there
forever.