[Python-Dev] When to remove deprecated stuff (was: Deprecating the formatter module)

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Thu Aug 15 14:40:45 CEST 2013

On Thu, Aug 15, 2013 at 8:36 AM, Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net> wrote:

> On Thu, 15 Aug 2013 08:29:35 -0400
> "R. David Murray" <rdmurray at bitdance.com> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 15 Aug 2013 11:22:14 +0200, Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net>
> wrote:
> "Python

> changes
> > >
> > > That's exactly what I'm saying.
> > > But some changes cannot be made without breakage, e.g. the unicode
> > > transition. Then it makes sense to bundle all breaking changes in a
> > > single version change.
> >
> > A number of us (I don't know how many) have clearly been thinking about
> > "Python 4" as the time when we remove cruft.  This will not cause any
> > backward compatibility issues for anyone who has paid heed to the
> > deprecation warnings, but will for those who haven't.
>
> Which is why we shouldn't silence deprecation warnings.

What we should probably do is have unittest turn deprecations on by default
when running your tests but leave them silent otherwise. I still think
keeping them silent for the benefit of end-users is a good thing as long as
we make it easier for developers to switch on warnings without thinking
about it.