[Python-Dev] PEP 450 adding statistics module

Michael Foord fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk
Fri Aug 16 10:01:51 CEST 2013

On 16 Aug 2013, at 02:30, R. David Murray <rdmurray at bitdance.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 15 Aug 2013 23:28:39 +0300, Michael Foord <fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk> wrote:

>>> I agree with Mark: the proposed median, median.low, etc., doesn't feel
>>> right. Is there any example of doing this in the stdlib? I suggest just
>>> median(), median_low(), etc.
>>>
>>> If we do end up keeping it, simpler than the callable singleton is:

>>> 'median'
>>> 'median.low'
>>

>> There's the patch decorator in unittest.mock which provides:
>>
>> 	patch(...)
>> 	patch.object(...)
>> 	patch.dict(...)
>>
>> The implementation is exactly as you suggest. (e.g. patch.object = _patch_object)
>
> Truthfully there are a number of things about the mock API that make me
> uncomfortable, including that one.  But despite that I'm glad we
> didn't try to re-engineer it.  Take that as you will :)

Hah. mock used to provide separate patch and patch_object "functions" (they're really just factory functions for classes) but "patch.object" and "patch.dict" are easy to remember and you only have to import a single object instead of a proliferation. In my experience it's been a better API. The separate function was deprecated and removed a while ago.

Other parts of the mock API and architecture are somewhat legacy - it's a six year old project with a lot of users, so it's somewhat inevitable. If starting from scratch I wouldn't do it *very* differently though.

Michael