[Python-Dev] hg verify warnings

Tim Peters tim.peters at gmail.com
Tue Aug 20 01:48:44 CEST 2013

>> $ hg verify
>> repository uses revlog format 1
>> checking changesets
>> checking manifests
>> crosschecking files in changesets and manifests
>> checking files
>> warning: copy source of 'Modules/_threadmodule.c' not in parents of 60ad83716733
>> warning: copy source of 'Objects/bytesobject.c' not in parents of 64bb1d258322
>> warning: copy source of 'Objects/stringobject.c' not in parents of 357e268e7c5f
>> 9799 files, 79660 changesets, 176851 total revisions
>> 3 warnings encountered!
>>

>> $ hg --version
>> Mercurial Distributed SCM (version 2.3.2)
>> (see http://mercurial.selenic.com for more information)

[Tim, reproduces this kind of warning in a 1-file repository, via
 moving the file, then committing the removal of the old location
 before committing the addition of the new location]

> Regardless, I suspect Python's warnings came from similarly overly
> elaborate learning-curve workflow,

Nope!  At least not for _threadmodule.c:  that got renamed in a single
commit (7fe3a8648ce2), and I don't see anything fishy about, or
around, it.

I gave up on tracing back bytesobject.c/stringobject.c, because not
only did one get renamed to the other, later it got renamed back
again.

> and are harmless.

I still expect they're harmless, albeit without a shred of evidence ;-)