[Python-Dev] Pre-PEP: Redesigning extension modules

PJ Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Sun Aug 25 06:12:36 CEST 2013

On Fri, Aug 23, 2013 at 4:50 AM, Stefan Behnel <stefan_ml at behnel.de> wrote:
> Reloading and Sub-Interpreters
> ==============================
>
> To "reload" an extension module, the module create function is executed
> again and returns a new module type. This type is then instantiated as by
> the original module loader and replaces the previous entry in sys.modules.
> Once the last references to the previous module and its type are gone, both
> will be subject to normal garbage collection.

I haven't had a chance to address this on the import-sig discussion
yet about ModuleSpec, but I would like to just mention that one
property of the existing module system that I'm not sure either this
proposal or the ModuleSpec proposal preserves is that it's possible to
implement lazy importing of modules using standard reload() semantics.

My "Importing" package offers lazy imports by creating module objects
in sys.modules that are a subtype of ModuleType, and use a
__getattribute__ hook so that trying to use them fires off a reload()
of the module.  Because the dummy module doesn't have __file__ or
anything else initialized, the import system searches for the module
and then loads it, reusing the existing module object, even though
it's actually only executing the module code for the first time.

That the existing object be reused is important, because once the
dummy is in sys.modules, it can also be imported by other modules, so
references to it can abound everywhere, and we wish only for it to be
loaded lazily, without needing to trace down and replace all instances
of it.  This also preserves other invariants of the module system.

Anyway, the reason I was asking why reloading is being handled as a
special case in the ModuleSpec proposal -- and the reason I'm curious
about certain provisions of this proposal -- is that making the
assumption you can only reload something with the same
spec/location/etc. it was originally loaded with, and/or that if you
are reloading a module then you previously had a chance to do things
to it, doesn't jibe with the way things work currently.

That is to say, in the pure PEP 302 world, there is no special status
for "reload" that is different from "load" -- the *only* thing that's
different is that there is already a module object to use, and there
is *no guarantee that it's a module object that was initialized by the
loader now being invoked*.

AFAICT both this proposal and the ModuleSpec one are making an invalid
assumption per PEP 302, and aren't explicitly proposing to change the
status quo: they just assume things that aren't actually assured by
the prior specs or implementations.

So, for example, this extension module proposal needs to cover what
happens if an extension module is reloaded and the module object is
not of the type or instance it's expecting.  Must it do its own
checking?  Error handling?  Will some other portion of the import
system be expected to handle it?

For that matter, what happens (in either proposal) if you reload() a
module which only has a __name__, and no other attributes?  I haven't
tested with importlib, but with earlier Pythons this results in a
standard module search being done by reload().  But the ModuleSpec
proposal and this one seem to assume that a reload()-ed module must
already be associated with a loader, location, and/or spec.