[Python-Dev] please back out changeset f903cf864191 before alpha-2

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Mon Aug 26 14:51:59 CEST 2013

Le Mon, 26 Aug 2013 08:24:58 -0400,
Tres Seaver <tseaver at palladion.com> a écrit :

> On 08/26/2013 04:36 AM, Antoine Pitrou wrote:
> > event-driven processing using network librarie
>
> Maybe I missed something:  why should considerations from that topic
> influence the design of an API for XML processing?

Because this API is mostly useful when the data is received (*) at a
slow enough speed - which usually means from the network, not from a
hard drive.

((*) "data" ... "received"; does it ring a bell? ;-))

If you want iterative processing from a fast data source, you can
already use iterparse(): it's blocking, but it's not a problem with
disk I/O (not to mention that non-blocking disk I/O doesn't really
exist under Linux, AFAIK: I haven't been able to get EAGAIN with
os.read() on a non-blocking file, even when reading from a huge
uncached file).

The whole *point* of adding IncrementalParser was to parse incoming
XML data in a way that is friendly with event-driven network
programming, other use cases being *already* covered by existing
APIs. This is why it's far from nonsensical to re-use an existing
terminology from that world.

If you don't do any non-blocking network I/O, then fine - you won't
even need the API, and can safely ignore its existence.