[Python-Dev] Test the test suite?

Victor Stinner victor.stinner at gmail.com
Wed Aug 28 13:37:23 CEST 2013

Hi,

I just noticed that tests using @requires_freebsd_version and
@requires_linux_version decorator from test.support are never run
since this commit (almost 2 years ago):

changeset:   72618:3b1859f80e6d
user:        Charles-François Natali <neologix at free.fr>
date:        Mon Oct 03 19:40:37 2011 +0200
files:       Lib/test/support.py
Introduce support.requires_freebsd_version decorator.

                         raise unittest.SkipTest(
-                            "Linux kernel %s or higher required, not %s"
-                            % (min_version_txt, version_txt))
-            return func(*args, **kw)
-        wrapper.min_version = min_version
+                            "%s version %s or higher required, not %s"
+                            % (sysname, min_version_txt, version_txt))

I don't want to blame Charles-François, nobody saw the issue during 2 years!

No, my question is: how can we detect that a test is never run? Do we
need test covertage on the test suite? Or inject faults in the code to
test the test suite? Any other idea?

I fixed the decorators in Python 3.3 (84debb4abd50) and 3.4 (f98fd5712b0e).

Victor