[Python-Dev] Can someone try to duplicate corruption on Gentoo?

Tim Peters tim.peters at gmail.com
Fri Aug 30 05:02:16 CEST 2013

[R. David Murray <rdmurray at bitdance.com>]
> Emerge uses Python, and 2.7 is the default system python on Gentoo,
> so unless he changed his default, that error almost certainly came from
> the existing Python he was having trouble with.

Yes, "The Python used to run `emerge` here was a --with-pydebug Python
the bug reporter built earlier".

> Just for fun I re-emerged 2.7.3-r3 on my system, and that worked fine.

Thanks for trying!

Note that only a debug-build (or at least with PYMALLOC_DEBUG defined)
Python can generate a "bad leading pad byte" error, so if you didn't
use a debug-build Python to run `emerge`, you could not have seen the
same error.