[Python-Dev] 128 bit integer support

Fil Mackay fil at pobox.com
Wed Dec 4 13:17:11 CET 2013

I have been doing some research on getting "int128_t" supported in Python,
and have hit a snag:

I've found that libffi does support this type, but sadly ctypes and cffi do
not. Adding to ctypes does not seem to be trivial, since the description of
an integer type is limited to a single character ("q" in the case of long
long). "q" is considered to be a length of 8, whereas what I really want is
the integer type "ll" which is correctly considered length of 16.

These musings are on OSX.

Can anyone give me some pointers as to why this has not been added to date,
and the best line of attack?

Regards, Fil.