[Python-Dev] Buildbot running Debian amd64 as root

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Sat Dec 7 14:35:52 CET 2013

In another thread it was suggested that a new buildbot running as root
would be of value. I've spun up a virtual machine running Debian
Wheezy amd64, have installed buildbot from the repository (version
0.8.6p1), and am ready to have it join the farm. How do I go about
doing this?

I've followed the instructions in
https://wiki.python.org/moin/BuildBot as far as creating the slave.
There's a user named buildbot but I'll be running the buildslave
command as root - that would do it, right? Which means I just need to
set up a name and password.

The VM has 1GB RAM and is permitted up to two cores of my i5 CPU, and
has 120GB disk space available. It's running behind NAT, which should
be safe against accidental problems, but not malicious compromise.
I'll look into firewalling it off to keep things safeish but mainly
I'm trusting that Python core devs aren't going to be attacking my
network :)

ChrisA