[Python-Dev] How do we feel about using pragmas and __attribute__ in C code?

Brett Cannon brett at yvrsfo.ca
Fri Dec 13 18:04:29 CET 2013

http://bugs.python.org/issue12837 deals with the single compiler warning
left on OS X: a tautalogical compare in socketmodule.c that is valid under
POSIX. I have a solution that uses pragmas to turn off tautological compare
warnings for the single 'if' statement that triggers it. But there are very
few places in Python's code base which use pragmas and I have never seen a
discussion if we are okay with their overall use.

So is there any reason to not use pragmas sparsely in the code?

Tying into this and using compiler-specific things in C code, what about
__attribute__? http://bugs.python.org/issue19298 proposes an idea that
Daniel Stutzbach originally came up with where we could use __atribute__
(behind a nicer macro) to help detect refleaks on PyObject* stack
variables. Would __attribute__ usage be okay in that situation?