[Python-Dev] BDFL delegation for PEP 426 (PyPI metadata 1.3)

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Sun Feb 3 13:48:53 CET 2013

On Sun, 3 Feb 2013 12:34:36 +0000
Paul Moore <p.f.moore at gmail.com> wrote:

> So it's perfectly possible to use wheels right now, without the pip
> integration. But the pip developers don't want to integrate the wheel
> format just because it exists - they want the assurance that it's an
> accepted format supported by PEPs, hence the interest in getting the 3
> wheel PEPs (of which the metadata PEP is the first) accepted.

But it's an "accepted format" by whom? If we accept the PEP but refuse
to integrate support in the stdlib, it doesn't make much sense.

I vote for removing the "distutils is frozen" principle. It was already
destructive enough when packaging was still alive - bug fixes were
actively turned down for the dubious reason that fixing bugs would
break compatibility. Its rationale has become completely obsolete now
that packaging has failed.

Regards

Antoine.