[Python-Dev] BDFL delegation for PEP 426 (PyPI metadata 1.3)

Éric Araujo merwok at netwok.org
Sun Feb 3 20:06:57 CET 2013

Hi,

Le 03/02/2013 13:57, Daniel Holth a écrit :
> My position is that these days distutils doesn't belong in the standard
> library any more than Django does.
You can install anything you want, but first you need an installer.  I
think that a language needs packaging formats and basic build and
install tools in its stdlib.  You can use different tools for
specialized needs or tastes, but I think years and years of frustration
show that people need a basic thing working out of the box.

> So I am mildly opposed to supporting it when you should be using better
> designed third party tools like Bento
Aside: can we keep the discussion civil instead of constantly bashing
distutils and heaping praise on one tool?  (It happened with
easy_install before bento.)  I’m the first one to recognize that
distutils has deep flaws, but I respect the time and energy that many
people have put into it.

> Wheel makes it possible for Python to get out of the build tool
> business. Just install your preferred tools with a concise bootstrap
> installer.
Looks like we agree that a basic tool able to bootstrap the packaging
story is needed :)

Regards