[Python-Dev] build from source on mac uses clang, python.org binary uses gcc

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Thu Feb 14 20:03:39 CET 2013

On 14/02/2013 12:15, Ronald Oussoren wrote:

>> buzzkill:virtualenvs chris$ /src/Python-3.3.0/python.exe
>> Python 3.3.0 (default, Jan 23 2013, 09:56:03)
>> [GCC 4.2.1 Compatible Apple Clang 3.0 (tags/Apple/clang-211.12)] on darwin
>>>>>

>> ...which makes lxml pretty unhappy.
>
> Why is that?

I'm not lxml's maintainer, I'd suggest asking Stefan...

> The binary was created on an older release of OSX where gcc is a valid compiler choice. Distutils
> should still pick clang when it detects that gcc is actually llvm-gcc though, doesn't it do that on your system?

No. The gcc-based Python 3.3.0 from python.org uses gcc to compile lxml.

> BTW. Which OSX release are you using? And which variant of the OSX installer?

10.7.5. If by "OSX Installer" you mean that for Python 3.3.0, then it
was the 64-bit one from python.org.

> P.S. Isn't this a question for python-list?

I think questions about compiling python and how python chooses to
compile its extensions, and weird things on particular operating systems
related to that, are fair game for python-dev.

cheers,

Chris

             - http://www.simplistix.co.uk