[Python-Dev] XML DoS vulnerabilities and exploits in Python

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Thu Feb 21 01:38:07 CET 2013

On Thu, Feb 21, 2013 at 9:49 AM, Tres Seaver <tseaver at palladion.com> wrote:
> Two words:  "hash randomization".  If it applies to one, it applies to
> the other.

Agreed. Christian's suggested approach sounds sane to me:

- make it possible to enable safer behaviour globally in at least 2.7
and 3.3 (and perhaps in 2.6 and 3.2 security releases as well)
- make the safer behaviour the default in 3.4
- make it possible to selectively disable the safeguards in all versions

A *possible* alternative in to step 1 is loud warnings in the docs
directing people to defusedxml, but I prefer the idea of actually
making the safeguards available directly in the standard library.

Regards,
Nick.