[Python-Dev] [Python-checkins] peps: Pre-alpha draft for PEP 435 (enum). The name is not important at the moment, as

Eli Bendersky eliben at gmail.com
Mon Feb 25 15:45:27 CET 2013

> 2) When you do, wrapping the item in int() doesn't seem too bad to me.
>>

> If it was just once or twice, sure, but I use them as names for ints,
> which means I use them as ints, which means I would have a boat load of
> int() calls.

Personally I don't see "name for ints" as being the main use case for
enums. For preparing the draft PEP I ran through some stdlib, Twisted and
personal code and there are *tons* of places that just need a simple enum
for some sort of "state", meaningful return value, or similar. That's
really where you need enums the most, and really where their values don't
matter.

I prefer to have a good solution to one problem than a poorer solution that
tries to cover two unrelated problems. For "names for ints", Nick's named
value proposal seems more relevant, but why mix the two together?

Eli