[Python-Dev] cffi in stdlib

R. David Murray rdmurray at bitdance.com
Tue Feb 26 20:06:19 CET 2013

On Tue, 26 Feb 2013 18:14:26 +0000, Paul Moore <p.f.moore at gmail.com> wrote:
> BTW, I assume that the intention is that both cffi and ctypes remain
> available indefinitely? Nobody's looking to deprecate ctypes?

I would expect that ctypes would be deprecated eventually simply because
there aren't very many people interested in maintaining it, and probably
fewer if cffi is accepted.  That said, I would not expect it to leave
the stdlib until either the bit rot was so bad it wouldn't be worth
shipping it, or (more likely) we reach Python4 and decide at that time
that it is time for it to go.

Of course, this is just me talking, we only have a *very* vague "sense of
the house" for what Python4 means at this point :)

--David