[Python-Dev] Python Language Summit at PyCon: Agenda

fwierzbicki at gmail.com fwierzbicki at gmail.com
Wed Feb 27 20:33:30 CET 2013

On Wed, Feb 27, 2013 at 11:21 AM, Brett Cannon <brett at python.org> wrote:
> Do you mean more generally getting more pure Python implementations of
> modules in the stdlib? If so then as a reference there is
> http://bugs.python.org/issue16651 which lists the modules in the stdlib w/
> only extension module implementations (although operator and random have
> patches; the latter is waiting for Raymond to approve).
That is part of it, although my bigger goal is slightly more
ambitious. I'm hoping to eventually delete the entire Lib/ directory
from Jython and just pull in CPython's.

> And if I am right
> about what you are suggesting, Frank, this should probably be expanded to a
> more concerted effort with IronPython and PyPy. IOW it warrants a
> discussion. =)
Oh sure sorry - I have some tunnel vision lately :) I am suggesting
that we push forward on the "shared library" approach to the files in
the Lib/* directory, so that would certainly include IronPython and
PyPy as well I hope.

The easy part for Jython is pushing some of our "if is_jython:" stuff
into the appropriate spots in CPython's Lib/. I'd also like to do
something at the top of CPython specific .py files that would fail the
import in case it is called from Jython. I suspect that OS packagers
would like it if the Lib directory for a particular Python version
could be entirely shared between implementations.

There are a couple of spots that might be more controversial. For
example, Jython has a file Lib/zlib.py that implements zlib in terms
of the existing Java support for zlib. I do wonder if such a file is
acceptable in CPython's Lib since its 195 lines of code would be
entirely skipped by CPython.

Anyway I think I might be rambling - it seems like a good thing to discuss :)

-Frank